![]() |
| Click to play Make your own Smilebox |
So the question was "Is Jen going to cry when Kassi boards the plane for Vegas?" The answer is "yes." Actually, I couldn't stop crying. I was a huge ball of nerves for hours. Seriously, it was the worst I'd felt in my entire life. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's the truth. The funny thing is that it wasn't a bad thing that made me feel that way. It was fun and wonderful thing, but boy did I not want to live it! For those that don't know what I'm talking about, Kassi got to go to Las Vegas to celebrate her 6th birthday. Here's the scoop:
Her birthday was on Friday, 9/14. We had a great day. Due to construction on the house, we had spent Thursday night at the Drury Inn. Kassi thought it was so cool to wake up in a hotel on her birthday. They ate breakfast in the hotel room and we got the kids ready for school. Nathan, Trevor, Ashlee and I went to Kassi's school for lunch. My parents did that every year when I was growing up, so I was very happy to learn that I could do the same. We enjoyed spending a little bit of time with her during the day and she was thrilled we were there. We also got permission to bring treats to her class. When I asked her teacher, Mrs. Kayser-Boyd, about the treats, she said "cupcakes." When I double checked with the office, they said "cupcakes." So we brought cupcakes. However, since Kassi was going to do such a special thing for her birthday, I figured everyone should celebrate with her. I made the all of the kids a "hobo bag" and filled them with a popcorn ball, candy airplane and tootsie rolls. We told them that Kassi was going to travel to Las Vegas and that she packed all of their bags for them. Some of the kids said "I don't know if my Mom will let me go!?! The poem included went like this: Here are some special treats from me to celebrate my sixth birthday! Since I’m going to travel I thought that I’d try to share the fun in some way! I wish my new friends could come along, so I’ve packed a bag for you. Enjoy the treats as I “pop” on the “plane” and “roll” into the sky of blue! Love, Kassi York (The Birthday Girl!)
I had been a little worried for Kassi since her teacher told me that she's SO shy at school, but since her birthday I haven't been worried at all. After she gave these to the kids, they were telling her that they loved her, giving her high-fives, telling her that she was SO COOL! She seemed to need that little bit of attention to feel comfortable. Anyway, it was so wonderful to see her so happy and "herself" when she gave these gifts out. We spent the rest of the day as a family just doing birthday things. She really had a great time. She had an "all american" birthday asking for hamburgers for dinner and brownies instead of cake. The idea was for her to get into bed early that night because her flight to Las Vegas was leaving at 6:55 a.m. on Saturday morning. That plan was derailed when WalMart called to say that her glasses were in. This was at 8:25 (and they close at 9:00). We had ordered them at a WalMart that is a little drive from the house so we hurried up there. By the time we got back and did the brownies it was pretty late!
The next day, Nathan, Kassi and I got up to send her off. Nathan stayed home with the other little ones and Kassi and I were off to the airport. Yes, I was crying...tons. I just couldn't stop. We waited together until they wanted to board her (she was flying Unaccompanied Minor and was never left unattended) on the plane. She's usually very cuddly with me so I asked her if she wanted to sit on my lap. "No!" (she acted insulted at the suggestion!) Then when they came to get her I was telling her goodbye and she said "okay, okay!" (like, hurry it up Mom, you're embarrassing me!) Anyway, she was acting like she was such a big girl and to see her walk down the jetway was took more out of me than I thought it would. It's making my eyes water now just thinking about it. Anyway, she was super stoked and couldn't wait to see Grammy and Wawa and all of her cousins. When she arrived in Las Vegas, Aunt Missy had done up signs for her welcome and she was so tickled. The entire weekend was planned with non-stop things for her to experience. I'm in awe at all they did with her. I really thought everyone would just hang out. I'm so full of gratitude that my children have family that loves them and wants the best for them. Man, was she spoiled! In fact, the plane ride there was a breeze for her. She wasn't scared, sad or nervous. She said that she was happy and excited. Even with the late night on Friday, she didn't sleep a wink on the plane! The plane ride home, however, started a little differently. Kassi had the row all to herself, so she was all alone. I think that the change from being surrounded 24/7 by family to all of the sudden all alone was a little hard for her to bear. When the flight attendant (plus a husband and wife) came to deliver her to us, she told me that Kassi was very teary at first. So much that a lady that was sitting around her aisle went to comfort her. In talking to Kassi, she asked her where she went to school. When Kassi told her Barton Elementary, the lady said that she grew up on Fouts Drive. Kassi told her that she lives on Fouts Drive. The lady was so touched that she sat by Kassi the whole way home. Her husband sat across the aisle. I'm so grateful that she was watched over. Can you believe that someone who grew up on the same street that we now live was visiting Las Vegas the same time Kassi was? I'm thankful that she was going home on the same flight as Kassi, seated near enough to notice that Kassi was sad and tender enough to talk to her and make her happy again. There's 5 huge blessings right there! I couldn't thank her enough when we met her. Anyway, I asked Kassi why she was crying. She just kind of shrugged her shoulders.
Me: "Were you scared?"
Kassi: "No."
Me: "Were you nervous?"
Kassi: "No."
Me: "Were you sad?"
Kassi: "Yes."
Me: "Why were you so sad?"
Kassi: "Because I was going to miss all of my cousins." (sounds like she's going to cry again, and avoids it by rubbing her eyes)
Me: "Well, weren't you excited to come home and see us?"
Kassi: (sheepishly) "No."
There you have it! I think that tells you how terrific she felt her time was in Las Vegas. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of you that loved her, entertained her, fed her, gifted her, took care of her, did her hair, etc. She just can't wait to go again!
There were 140 pictures on a disk sent home with Kassi. Melissa just told me this morning that there are even more than that because that's just what Wawa's memory stick could hold and after she cleared it off he took another batch. Holy cow! The pictures posted below are literally like 1/6 of the shots taken! Thanks to Wawa for taking so many so that Nathan and I could feel like we were there! The pictures that follow are of Kassi leaving for Vegas and her return. The majority are of Kassi showing us all of her spoils she got from everyone. Thank you again. We love you all so much!
![]() |
| Click to play | Make your own Smilebox |


No comments:
Post a Comment